Scientific researcher Tåsinge, Denmark Solar panels and wind turbines Copenhagen Typing with keyboard Oresund bridge, Denmark, in winter Young technical professional

Frequently Asked Questions

Candidates naturally have many questions about our service and about work in Scandinavia. Here are some of the questions we are most often asked.

About the application process

What are the requirements of applying for positions in Scandinavia?

In order to be able to apply for positions in Scandinavia you must fulfill the following requirements:
• Be a specialist in the engineering, IT or technology sector
• Be an EU citizen OR have long-term residency in one of the EU countries.

Do I have to pay for any of the services of TechCarrera?

No, you don’t have to pay anything.
Our services include:
• Career consulting and support with relocation
• A language course for you and your family
• A face-to-face interview trip to Scandinavia to meet the companies
• Finding a place to live, school and kindergarten
• Removal and relocation costs
• The organisation of transport for your personal goods
• Necessary paperwork related to your residency
• Legal and practical issues.

About the study tour

Who will pay for the expenses of the study tour?

The flight tickets and hotel costs will be paid by TechCarrera and the future employer. We will also organise a personal tour guide who will show you around the local neighbourhood during your stay.

About the language course

Do I have to pay for the language course?

No, it’s included in our service, for both of you and your spouse.

About the relocation

Can you help my spouse to find work?

If your spouse is working in the engineering, IT, tech or health care sector we can help with contact and to find out possibilities.
   In other cases, we will help you with sources in the public employment service. It is important to be realistic when estimating the time it will take for your partner to find work in Scandinavia, depending on his/her profession.

Will I get help with documentation of my degree and other practical issues?

Of course! We will assist you with the necessary applications for tech and specialist degrees, as well as with finding a place to live and organising the transport of furniture and goods.
   We will also apply for schools and kindergarten and residency and resolve other practical issues.

Can I bring my pet?

Yes, you can with certain conditions. For more information about this subject see these links:
Norway   Sweden   Denmark

Can I bring my car?

Yes, you can, but registering a foreign car in Scandinavia is quite expensive. Many of our candidates decide to sell their car and buy a new one in Sweden, Norway or Denmark. For more information on the topic see these links:
Norway   Sweden   Denmark

What is the cost of living in Scandinavia?

Scandinavia is an expensive expat destination and the cost of living is high, even by European standards. Eating out, utilities and petrol are especially pricey. Luckily, wages are high to balance out the high cost of goods and services.
   The estimated cost of living depends on the city, and of course on the individual person. The cost of living in Scandinavia will vary depending on your lifestyle and habits. Many services in Scandinavia such as medical treatment are paid for via taxes and the welfare system. For more information see these links:
Norway   Sweden   Denmark

What are the taxes in Scandinavia?

Taxation in Sweden: generally, an individual is considered a resident of Sweden for the purposes of the Swedish individual income taxation if they have a real home in Sweden. Тhe Swedish Tax Agency’s opinion is that an individual who regularly stays overnight in Sweden in a consecutive six‐month period should be considered as a resident in Sweden. A person who has previously been living in Sweden and keeps essential ties to Sweden, such as e.g. a house, family members, business and/or substantial investments after moving from Sweden is also considered as a tax resident of Sweden. Generally, the burden of proof is on the individual to substantiate their non-resident status for the next five years following departure.
   Swedish tax residents are liable for income tax on their employment income regardless of where it is derived from. The cash principle applies which means that income is generally taxable upon receipt. Generally all earnings, including benefits in kind, from an employer to an employee are reportable and taxable as income from employment. Taxable income includes salary, bonus payments, allowances, stock options and housing benefits. The tax rates ranges from 31% up to approximately 56‐58% (depending on municipality).
Wikipedia - taxation in Sweden
Taxation in Norway: taxes are calculated based on a table depending on your income as well as any loans and interest paid related to your loans. In general, tax on base salary ranges between 36% and 48%.
Wikipedia - taxation in Norway
Taxation in Denmark: the tax depends on the overall financial situation of the individual (loans, extra income, etc). However, a general benchmark for income tax for high earners is approximately 50%. Although this may seem extremely high, keep in mind that Denmark is a well developed welfare state and that all schools, hospital services, etc are free.
Wikipedia - taxation in Denmark